Friday, November 14, 2008

30 days, day 14

I am thankful for my children.

This probably should have been second on the list right after my wife, but their placement on the list in no way reduces their importance in my life.

My deepest apologies to any of you who wanted children but could not have them, or to any of you who have lost children, or have children from which you are estranged. I pray that God's grace is big enough to bridge the deep gaps that develop in our lives.

My children are awesome. I have had the privilege of watching them grow from birth to the ripe old ages of 17, 19 and 21. So much of what we have tried to teach them, they are now beginning to "get." They are not always perfect, but neither am I. I believe they know that their parents love each other. I know that they know what a happy, fun home looks like. We haven't ever sugar coated anything, so they know what the real world is mostly like. They know how, and are learning how to work.

I believe that who ever they marry and where ever they work, the people that they choose to spend their lives with will feel that they won the lottery.

Alli, Jenny and Scott, thank you. I have won the Dad lottery. You guys are awesome.

It is a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Someday, even if your kiddos aren't able to grasp all of this today, they will have to look back and think what a cool dad they have. How awesome it must feel to have their dad write to the world how much he loves them and how proud he is of them. I think that would be a great feeling to hear from my dad . . . even today at my age of 40-something. And, I vividly remember the one time in my life, walking out of my first apartment, when my dad squeezed my hand and said, "I want you to know that I would do anything for you!" He probably doesn't even remember saying it, but it meant so much to me.

I think, likely, everyone who reads this blog is thankful for you, Jeff Brinkman, and what you bring to our lives.