Saturday, November 15, 2008

30 days, day 15

Today I am thankful for humiliation. I was going to say suffering, but my suffering is so small compared to others, that I do not feel that I have the right to use the word. So, I will use the word, humiliation. I am thankful for humiliation. Yesterday, I experienced a bit of it.

The day began with an appointment that I missed. I put down the wrong time. Self humiliation. Brought on by the self. I called to apologize and reset the appointment. I felt ridiculous.

Later, I was at a store and was embarrassed by the clerk. I was surprised by their uncharacteristic response to the situation and I felt a bit humiliated.

Before dinner I was at another vendor and had a problem with a rebate card. They could not get the card to work. I felt like my credit card had been denied. It was not their fault, nor mine really, but I felt foolish, humiliated and frustrated. I will have to call the company and get it figured out.

Now you may be asking, why am I thankful for experiences like this that provide a sense of humiliation to me. Well I am thankful for them for several reasons.

First of all, when things do not go well for me, it reminds me that I don't always get things my way. Such moments provide opportunities for me to exercise Christian character, and Lord knows, I need to keep working on this. Humiliating experiences also remind me to think of what Jesus suffered. While I bring some of this stuff on myself, he was innocent in humiliation and suffering. Humiliation also makes me work harder to see the good. I think that anyone can show good character when things are going well. Difficult experiences tend to show what is really inside of us.

Much good happened yesterday and today is a new day. May I enter it with joy and trust in Almighty God.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: