Monday, November 24, 2008

30 days, day 24

We are giving thanks for something, every day for 30 days. Today I am thankful for hope. During a period of time when all of the news is bad, we have hope. We have hope because we have a Savior in Jesus Christ, and the church is the hope of the world.

While everyone else may be sitting around right now wondering how bad things are going to get, it is time for the church to understand it's role in all of this. We are the brokers of hope. We have something to offer the community. There are things that we can do, and we need to think a little harder about doing them. Here are some things that are on my mind.

1. We already have a career placement ministry. If you have a friend that is out of work, have them contact the church about this program. We can also set up a bulletin board where those who have work or know of work, can interface with those who need work.

2. We have bankers and mortgage people in our church who would be glad to visit with someone who is up against it in their home loan. Maybe there is some advice that a professional could give that the homeowner has not thought of yet.

3. We have financial advisers in our church. People that work with money for a living. I know of several who would meet with anyone in need to try and help them understand what has happened and what their best course of action might be. I have already heard from some of these folks and they would do this with no intent to sell anything, and totally free of charge.

4. Clothing the needy. We are already pretty good at this, but if we need more racks for clothes in the missions building, then lets get them. If we need to open a clothes closet 5 days a week, then I think we can do that. I think that there are lots of clothes in our closets that could better serve the backs of those who can no longer go to the mall. [Remember, I am just talking at this point, please do not bring any clothes to the missions building except those which the missions dept is asking for.]

5. Feeding the hungry. If our food pantry needs to expand, then it can. If we have to move our exercise classes again, I hate to inconvenience them, but maybe we should buy Everett's and move the exercise classes over there. At any rate, if we need to collect and distribute more food, I think that we can figure out how to do that. Also, I have been thinking about a "three feed one" program. If you have a neighbor that can no longer feed their family, then I think the church can take them on. Three families will take the responsibility to personally feed them. The Smith's the Jones's and the Bartman's will agree to work out an arrangement to bring groceries every week until things get better for the family in need.

6. We have FPU. Financial Peace University. This 13 week program has helped over 200 families in our church and community come to a better understanding of debt, savings, and spending. It has taught Christian principles of money management. It has blessed many families, and helped many marriages. Call for more information.

7. Activities. There was a day that the church was the center of the community and the center of activities. If local families can no longer afford to be in basketball and baseball leagues, the church is ready to step in to help. We already have many wonderful activities for children and youth, but if we need more, we can bring more, and the church is more than ready to return to a role of being the center of community activity.

8. Pastoral Care. We have an awesome team and we have excellent Stephen Ministers. If you have a friend who needs someone to talk to about spiritual issues, we are ready.

Hope. We are a place of hope. We are a part of the solution. The government may be able to help with some of this, but we are here, and we know of the immediate needs around us. When called upon by circumstances, we will be prepared to act. If you know of someone who is afraid, invite them to your church, invite them to become a part of the solution.

Jesus is still the answer, and he does some amazing things through those who follow him. I am thankful that even in dark times, no, especially in dark times, we have hope.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

God Bless. I am thankful we have found WCC. I am thankful to feel empowered.

DH

Anonymous said...

God has blessed me with some wonderful friends who are always there for me no matter what my need may be. I am currently on the receiving end of one particular friend who has been providing me with meat from her freezer. It has been a tremendous help. I have one friend who paid my tuition for FPU last winter and surprised me with a gas card when she knew I was struggling with that. I have one friend who has taken me to the Women of Faith conference and is taking me to see Point of Grace and has offered the help of her family for my home repairs. Which I will take her up on as soon as I am able to. I have one friend who regularly sends me cards and provided me with a stack of coupons for FREE coffee! And those of you who know me know I love my coffee! These same friends have been with me through the years of my marriage, divorce and now. I truly don't know what I would have done without them.

Tonia

P.S. I need to find a home for our 18 month old male cat and 10 year old male toy poodle.