Saturday, November 1, 2008

30 days

November. The season of giving thanks. Thirty days has September, April, June and November. Barring any unforeseen interruptions, I am going to write every day in November about one thing that I am thankful for. I am already having trouble, because I am so thankful for so many things that I am going to have trouble picking one thing. But, here is my one thing for today.

I am thankful for my wife, Cathy.

I have selected her for day one, because today is our 22nd wedding anniversary, and if she read this, and I did not pick her, I would probably be in trouble.

We were married on a Sunday afternoon at South Broadland Presbyterian Church in Kansas City by Rev Greg Coulter. We attended church and Sunday School there and had many good friends, mostly in the Sunday School class. We played softball on the church team together.

Our wedding was attended by a small group of folks. The ushers wore plastic fish ties. Our reception was help at the home of Bruce and Pat Minter. Later that night, my sister, Julie, organized a chivalry, and a large collection of people knocked on the door banging pots and pans. They also brought a pizza, so it turned out ok.

We were not able to go on our honeymoon for several weeks because my employer, Franklin Savings, was going through a computer change over. No one could miss work for the two weeks while we were training on the new system.

When the honeymoon came, it was not what a young woman dreams of. No airplane, no beach, no shopping, no pampering. It just wasn't possible back then.

We drove up to Mound City, MO, just north of St. Joe and stayed for three days in a cabin at Big Lake State Park. We hiked at the park, hiked at Squaw Creek wildlife refuge. One night, we went out to dinner at the catfish restaurant in Rulo, Nebraska. We ate catfish and danced all night. The leaves were turning and it was wonderful. It is one of my great, life memories.

Over the years, like all marriages, we have had our moments. But I want to tell you, this is a good woman. She would give her left arm for you. She is as kind and loving a person as I have known in this life. She can be hard to get to know, she is a bit reserved, but she is worth knowing. We have raised three children together. We have cried together, and we have laughed together. We laugh a lot.

I am reminded of the quote from the beginning of the movie "the Notebook" where James Garner says of his wife, "I am nothing special; just a common man with common thoughts, and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten. But in one respect I have succeeded as gloriously as anyone who's ever lived: I've loved another with all my heart and soul; and to me, this has always been enough."

I could go on and on. But today, November 1st, I am thankful for my wife.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy anniversary!

I am wondering what a "plastic fish tie" looks like...

chigger farmer said...

What a great way to start your thankfulness month. I adore your wife, and consider myself fortunate to call her my friend. Having her as your wife truly is a blessing. Happy Anniversary and you have my wishes for many more.

Aunt Jan said...

Happy Anniversary - And best wishes for many many more!! What a blessing to share such love. :o)