Monday, January 3, 2011

seeing

Yesterday before church, maybe out of desperation, i was reading in one of my favorite books, "Walking on Water" by Anthony Demello. By chance I came across the statement, "as long as we are focused on the thing that hurts, we will never see anything else."

Boom. Thank sunk in. I thought of all the people that I love. When I am lost in my problem, I cannot even see them. I only see the problem. That is not healthy living and it is not fair to everyone else in my world.

So I determined yesterday that I was going to see others. Everyone. I want to be present for everyone and not so lost in my stuff that my head is hanging down all the time. I think it helped. I need to keep working on it because I want to be there for everyone I love.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that. I totally get it--it makes so much sense. I've had an issue the last few months that has occupied my every thought. I wasn't "there" for my family. They knew it, but they were very patient with me. It wasn't fair to them. I just hope that the next time I go through something like that, I will think of your blog/message and try to get past the "hurt and pain" and see the friends and family members that are always there for me.

Thank you for sharing this message. I will continue to pray for you.

Anonymous said...

And you were there for us. Your sermon was informative and inspirational and new. I like the way you talk to us and don't repeat yourself over and over again. You are real and honest and that is very good. Thank you. Hopefully, in some small way, some of us can be as important and helpful to you as you are to us. kb

Anonymous said...

You continue to be more than amazing. The reason you're able to re-focus to being lost in thought of others, is that you are so lost to self and tuned in to God.

Thanks for teaching all of us yet one more great lesson.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that quote from Anthony Demello's book.....every one of us can relate to that wisdom I think.

Anonymous said...

Just want you to know I am praying for you and to let you know how much I personally appreciate your leadership, your honesty and the messages you share here and via your sermons. You don't know me personally, but one of the ways I cope with the "stuff" in my life is by reading this blog and attending WCC. So thank you and know that you're appreciated!

Anonymous said...

Jeff, These words helped me. I had a better day. Blessings to you also!