Monday, January 31, 2011

Eli

Sunday afternoon I took my dog for a walk or vice versa. Lately, it seems, we have been running into other people and their dogs more than usual. You would think the opposite would happen with this cold weather, but I think cabin fever is starting to take its toll on dogs as well as people. Anyway, about 45 minutes into our walk my dog met Eli. Eli is the same breed of dog as mine, but a few years younger. He brought two people with him that were a few years older than I. Well Eli and my dog became instant friends...with dogs it is either all or nothing. We were in the woods so they ran about wild for a few minutes until they were ready to respond to our calls. In the meantime I got to know a little about Eli's owners. That is one of the many perks about having a dog...it creates an opportunity to meet people that I would otherwise just walk by in the grocery store or at church etc.

I started to think about this "common ground" as I drove home from the park. I can't bring my dog to the grocery store but I can say hello and start up a conversation with the person who is standing next to me searching for a can of chili beans. My dog can't come to church, but I can start up a conversation after service with the person I shook hands with at the beginning of the service.....

Common ground. It is everywhere. I need to work on this one more.

Peace,
Lion's Den Man

No comments: