Monday, January 17, 2011

the strange joy of painting

When I was younger I did not like to paint. Inside, outside, anywhere, I did not like to paint. But something has happened to me over the years. For some odd reason, I now enjoy painting.

To go into a room where some past painter has tagged the ceiling on accident and smeared a little paint on the baseboard or crown molding. To go in and touch up the ceiling and cut in the trim color, then to come back and cut the wall color to the trim, and roll it all out. It is good.

There is something about cleaning it all up, making it look right, sharp, crisp. Caulk the gaps. Cut a straight line. No roller marks.

Painting is mindless work. Maybe that is what I like about it. Nobody wants anything and you just get lost in your work. also, when you are done, you have made something beautiful. That is a pretty satisfying feeling.

If you have been feeling a little blue lately, go paint a room. It works for me.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is what I like about cleaning stalls. I'm alone in the quiet, no one (except maybe the horse occasionally) to interupt my work and thoughts. I can take my time. I know it's a job well done when the horse comes in when I'm all done to roll in the fresh shavings.

I miss that now that I've moved him to Texas to be with Cait. I still have a couple of rooms in the house I haven't been able to paint. So maybe now is the time for a new form of therapy.

Tonia

chigger farmer said...

What an inspiring idea! And I bet if folks are itching to get a brush in their hands but don't have rooms to paint at home, the church probably has a few on their waiting list! Just a thought!

H4EO said...

Amen brother - welcome to my world

ligooshka said...

I love painting and cleaning for the same reasons: it frees my mind and organizes my thoughts.