Thursday, November 1, 2012

thankful -1

During November, I hope to post something from each of you about what you are thankful for.  To participate, simply post a comment or send me an email.  Here is today's testimony of thanksgiving, from a reader of this blog-

I am thankful for my parents, they don't come any better than my Mom and Dad. I was raised in an average American home with 3 brothers and both a Mom and Dad in the house. My Mom and Dad were children during the Depression. Mom was 16 when she married my Dad then 20 after only knowing each other for about 6 weeks. My Dad was drafted just days later and served in the Korean war. WIthin 9 years they had 4 children. My Dad worked hard and Mom managed the house. They raised us to be honest, independent, resourceful, God fearing and to make the best of bad situations. My mom saw the good in everyone . They got to know our friends, they took us to church, they were Scout leaders, pack mothers, camp fire leaders, softball coaches, Sunday School teachers,MYF Leaders you get the picture. They attended probably every event any of us were ever in. They were always there. When i came home at night no matter how late i knew my Mom would be there to greet me and find out how my day/evening went. We played board games and card games together all the way through high school.. My Mom helped us with our English and History and Dad helped us with our Math and Science homework. We went to drive-in movies, wathced tv and ate popcorn, went fishing, made homemade icecream and ate dinner at home together. We were spoiled with love, rather than things.

As we all got married and moved away my parents continue to be there for us, our spouses, their grandchildren and great-grandchildren. They have spent time a great deal of time with each of their 18 grandchildrent individually. They know them, and each of the Grandchildren know Grandma and Grandpa are there for them! They treat everyone equally whether spouse, step, or adopted. They continue to be heavily involved in their church. They have become parents to some of our spouses who no longer have parents. They do things for people in need. My Mom still sees the best in people. When we have each gone through tough situations, they were there to support us and cheer us on. We still have a yearly get-together for Christmas and for the most part the entire extended family is there. Dad retired from KCP&L after 30 years. He worked hard and earned his way up the ladder. We affectionately call Mom the food-pusher. If you are at their house you are going to get fed whether you are hungry or not. She is a great cook.

My Dad turned 80 in August. He has had a lot of health issues over the years. He just got out of the hospital last week after a 2 week stay. In December of last year he spent the entire month in the hospital (and yes we all were there on Christmas to see him). But they keep going.
You will still find Mom and Dad at the church,either singing in the Choir, cooking for pancake breakfasts, or participating in some commitee or event..Dad as well still serves at military funerals. They are busy. If anyone of us asks them to come to an event, they will be there.

In just a few weeks my Mom and Dad will celebrate their 60th anniversary. They have been an example of Christs love on this earth in action.
I am blessed beyond belief to have them as parents. Parents don't come any finer than the set God gave to me.


It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As I began to read this, I thought somebody had written this about my parents. Incredible! Change the 60th anniversary to 50th (2 years ago), KCP&L to Southwestern Bell, and they are both 8 years younger at 72. We were also spoiled with love rather than things. A standing ovation is in order for this "honor thy mother and father" tribute!!!
RK