Saturday, November 17, 2012

thankful - 17

Shared by a reader -

I thank God for my son’s disabilities.  He was born January 6th and has been my Epiphany baby in more ways than one. I will condense our story by saying that my son’s disabilities have led us down a twisting path of incredible disappointment and devastating pain.  We face daily challenges ranging from life threatening situations, to less than supportive family members, a hostile school environment, financial challenges to emotional breakdowns.  Every time we took a step forward, we would be handed a new diagnosis, a new challenge. But at each moment when I don’t think I can handle it, God has shown us the way. 

I've never been more challenged in every conceivable way.  There have even been times when I questioned if life was worth living.  How could God keep letting life deal this innocent child blow after blow? I often find myself at the absolute end of my rope.  But then I open my eyes, and see God has shown me unbelievable opportunity to grow, to teach, to help, to get involved.  He has given me a luxurious struggle.  

I have grown in ways I never knew possible.  I've learned what selflessness means.  I've learned what commitment means.  I've learned what sacrifice means. 

I've learned how to appreciate the smallest joys of just getting through the day.  

I thank God for an otherwise more than comfortable life.  I thank God that I have the resources to afford to leave our school district.  I thank God I have the time and skills to run a support group to help others find their way.  I thank God for a nice car to use to get to various therapy sessions.  I thank God that I have good insurance to cover the various doctors’ appointments.  I thank God that I have a degree in education and can help my son get the resources he needs.  I thank God that I have a supportive husband and friends who “get it”.   I thank God for my son, no matter the challenges that come along with being his mom, every day of my life.  My Epiphany baby has taught me, more than anyone in the world, about being a Christian and becoming closer to and trusting in God.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: