Monday, October 15, 2018

an inspiration

From my friend Pat...

My wife and I were dining at our favorite restaurant in Coronado. Its set in an old house, so the dining areas are small and several. We happened to be in a room with three tables, one empty, us and an older couple.

I watched them through dinner, they didn’t talk much, each lost in their own thoughts. Probably their generation’s version of looking at an iPhone at dinner I thought. Once in a while, they talked, occasionally they laughed.

The bill came while she was in the ladies room. I watched him struggle with it. When she returned, he handed it to her and a long discussion about the amount of the tip began. They worked it out and she finished paying. Only then did I notice his white cane on the floor.

Later as they left we struck up a conversation with them. He was 94, she was 90. They were starting to feel their aches and pains she said, starting to feel their aches and pains. They had been married 67 years, had lived in Arizona(its too hot) and wished they’d moved to Coronado years before(the weather is perfect). He fought 3 years in WWII as an infantryman, she loved Cape Cod where they were from. He had been a doctor. They held hands as they left.

What an inspiration. At 90, they were just starting to feel their aches and pains. Mine remind me I’m alive each morning, and I’m a third of their life behind them. But after 67 years of marriage, they could sit quietly with one another, work out a minor disagreement, and help one another. And they held hands as they left.

They made me want to be a better husband for my wife, a happier man for those around me.
God’s world is full of inspiration. We just have to open our eyes to it.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - - -

I am leading some trips this year and next. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

Holy Land Tour - includes my favorite spots
with optional Jerusalem extension
March 4-13, 2019

Paris-Normandy River Cruise
October 23-31, 2019

No comments: