Sunday, October 28, 2018

The songs of my generation, the songs of life

From my friend Pat....

I’m watching TV and a Geico commercial comes on. The background music is “Goin up the Country” a 60’s song by Canned Heat. Those of us who listened to underground rock and Woodstock music know it well. Its a staple on classic rock stations still.

When I first heard old rock songs used to sell things like Chevy’s(“Like a Rock” by Bob Seger) and financial services(“Gimmie Some Lovin’” by Steve Winwood) I was aghast. It was the ultimate corruption of the music I grew up with. We were over 30, untrustworthy by our youthful description. We had become “The Man”.

But tonight, when I heard that Geico commercial, I realized that soon, advertisers will change their music to newer, younger tunes. The Boomers will quit being the big purchasers, and it will be the Millennials, or GenXers or someone else’s turn.

And I am reminded of that great biblical wisdom, “To every season, turn, turn turn” (The Byrds, and oh yeah, Ecclesiastes). This is life (Snow Patrol). It comes, it goes, turn, turn turn. God meant for us to embrace it, enjoy it, use it. He even sent his Son to tell us how to use it best. Yet another gift.

So it guides me: “Life is a highway, I want to ride it all night long”. (Tom Cochrane) Enjoy life. Live as Jesus prescribed. Love one another. That’s a song that never grows old.


It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - - -

I am leading some trips this year and next. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

Holy Land Tour - includes my favorite spots
with optional Jerusalem extension
March 4-13, 2019

No comments: