Saturday, November 3, 2018

A perspective on another birthday

From my friend Susan,

In a few days, I will have another birthday. Some days I feel really old, and other days, I just don’t think about it. Why do I feel old when I am healthy, have a wonderful life, and am fully blessed? It happens when I look in the mirror and see a few more lines and wrinkles, or when I pass on a really cute outfit, because it just wouldn’t work on someone my age. Or, when I watch my parents age and struggle with their health. I see friends of my parents, or parents of my friends pass away. Or I realize my coworkers are young enough to be my children!! 

 It’s easy to dwell on those things. But, there is so much good to look for instead. I am blessed to live another year and earn another wrinkle on my face! I can find plenty of cute clothes that work for me! I am so very blessed to still have my parents to spend time with, call, visit, and love here on this earth! When friends lose their parents, it’s an opportunity to surround them with love, as I know they will do the same for me someday. 

 As I get older, I realize that I am made for more. More love (grandchildren), more time (family and friends, the needy and MYSELF), more personal development (reading, podcasts), more reaching out to help others. I have become more focused on God’s purpose for me on this earth, while I’m still here. My knowledge over the years isn’t as important as my understanding, which comes with age. 

The seasons of life are like the 4 seasons of a tree. There is spring when they burst out and green up, summer when they survive the heat and draughts, and then in the fall, they are the MOST beautiful with their brilliant colors before winter comes to claim them. I’d like to think that I have a few more years to go before winter of my life, but if I’m entering into the fall season of life, I want to burst out in full color. So come on, birthday. Bring it!

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - - -
I am leading some trips this year and next. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

Holy Land Tour - includes my favorite spots
with optional Jerusalem extension
March 4-13, 2019

No comments: