Thursday, November 15, 2018

Stranded Family


17 If anyone has material possessions 
and sees a brother or sister in need 
but has no pity on them, 
how can the love of God be in that person? 
18 Dear children, let us not love with words or speech 
but with actions and in truth.  
1 Jn 3:17-18

In the past I would not have told you stories like this because I never want to come across like bragging.  Ever.

However, I realize that I am not going to live forever and that if one person is touched by a story like this, then it is ok for me to share.

The other day I was running errands in Vero Beach.  I was on 12th Street coming up to US 1.  I was going to turn left and head home.  I noticed that in the corner of the Staples parking lot was a guy with a sign that said "stranded family."  I was in the wrong lane to help.  My light was about to turn.

Then I noticed in his old van was his wife and two little kids in car seats.  One of them was crying.  I got the feeling that I should help.  I swung out across 2 lanes of traffic and turned right.  I pulled up along side of them and asked how they were stranded.

Just moved here from Ohio.  Starting a new job tomorrow.  Staying in the cheap hotel up the way, just for tonight.  No funds for tomorrow.  Hungry. 

They looked like nice people.

I introduced myself.  I asked the man, we will call him Larry if I could take him to the grocery store.  He said sure. 

He hopped in my car.  Larry does not smell very good.

We went to the Publix at 13th and US 1.  I told him to get whatever he wanted.

He picked out juice for the kids.  Vienna Sausages.  Spam.  A case of generic water.  He was very frugal.  I made him get a rotisserie chicken and potato salad, diapers and formula.  Anything that I saw that did not need to be cooked or refrigerated, I threw in.

We checked out.  The bill was $100.  I got out an extra $40.  We took the food back to his van.  I gave him the money.  I told them, God bless you and may good things come your way.

Here are my take aways from this experience.

  • I did not leave my name and number... I feel badly about that.
  • I did not solve any of their long term problems.
  • I think that they are going to enjoy dinner tonight.
  • They were people.  Just like us.
  • But for the grace of God go I.
  • We are so very fortunate.
  • I think that we could all help a little more often than we do.

I hope that it is ok that I told you this story.
May God enlarge our hearts of compassion.
Larry and family, may God bless you.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - - -

I am leading some trips this year and next. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

Holy Land Tour - includes my favorite spots
with optional Jerusalem extension
March 4-13, 2019

No comments: