Friday, November 2, 2018

books

One of my favorite movies is Into the Wild.  I don't know why, it is kind of a dark film, but it is also about living and celebrating life.  Once when I was watching it, I noticed that on the desk of the main character, Christopher McCandless, was a stack of books.  Evidently they were what he was reading or his favorites.

I stopped the film and took a picture of the book pile.  I bought a number of them

  • Wallace Stegner - The Spectator Bird
  • Leo Tolstoy - short stories
  • Nicolai Gogol - Taras Bulba
  • There were several others...


I could not get into Stegner. 
I fell in love with Tolstoy. 
Taras Bulba was excellent.

So I am packing up my office at Ft. Pierce First UMC.  I have saved my favorite books to pack last.  To close the box on these books will feel like I am putting part of my soul in mothballs. 

Anyway, I notice that they are sitting in a pile, and I remember taking the picture of the stack of books from the movie.  I bought McCandless's books to get inside of his brain. I don't know if anyone would want to get inside of my brain, but if you do, here is the picture of most of my favorite books.  They are all out of print but you can buy them online for cheap.  I hope that they touch you as much as they have shaped and touched me.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - - -

I am leading some trips this year and next. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

Holy Land Tour - includes my favorite spots
with optional Jerusalem extension
March 4-13, 2019




No comments: