Sunday, November 11, 2018

Veterans Day

When I was in grade school, Jr High and High School, the Vietnam war was raging.  I read the newspapers and watched the protests on TV.

I was also required to register for the draft.  When I was in High School I watched the draft lottery show on TV where they would spin the basket and pull out a number that corresponded to your birthday.  If July 5 got a low number, you would be drafted when you got out of school.  If you drew a high number, you got a pass.

I got a pass.  Not because July 5 got a high number, but because the war was coming to an end and by the time they were drawing for those graduating in 1975, the basket lottery was ended.  By the way, in 1974, July 5th was number 22.

I never served in the armed forces.  However, I have met a number of folks over the years who have lost son and daughters.  I have met many with PTSD.  I have heard some of the stories.  I have listened to the pain.

I am so appreciative of every person, man and woman who has served our country.  I didn't always agree with every war, but I believe in supporting the troops.

I never had to go.  Here is a big thank you... THANK YOU... to those of you who did.

Happy Veterans Day.



It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - - -

I am leading some trips this year and next. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

Holy Land Tour - includes my favorite spots
with optional Jerusalem extension
March 4-13, 2019

No comments: