Thursday, November 1, 2018

On riding or driving

Do you want to drive or shall I?

Recently I was riding in a car that someone else was driving.  I was very nervous.  I thought of something that my dad said to me when I was learning to drive.  After several sessions, he said, "well son, you have the basics down, now you just need to learn how to drive so that others are comfortable."

He went on to explain that I got the gas and the brake and the turn signals down, but I wasn't thinking about how the riders were experiencing my driving.  At the time, he was mostly concerned about my inability to hold the steering wheel still.  This kept the car constantly bobbing back and forth on the road.

Today I would say this.  Driving is more than the gas, the brake and the signal.  Please drive so that others are comfortable.

Jeff's rules for driving:

1.  Hold the wheel still.  Keep the car on a comfortable and straight path.
2. Do not follow too closely.  One car length for every ten miles per hour please.
3.  No texting ever.  Wait until you get to where you are going.
4.  Observe the speed limit.  5 mph over tops.
5.  Drive defensively.  Keep your eyes open.  Give others space.  Arrive alive.

Next time we are together, I am glad to do the driving if you like.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - - -
I am leading some trips this year and next. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

Holy Land Tour - includes my favorite spots
with optional Jerusalem extension
March 4-13, 2019

No comments: