Thursday, August 12, 2021

I overreacted.

I am probably six years old. My dad is helping me with my bath. There’s a small sliver of soap.  I threw it in the trashcan. Dad protests "we don’t waste anything," he says. I tell him mom throws those away all the time. He calls to her and she comes to the door of the bathroom.  He tells her that we shouldn’t be throwing these slivers of soap away.  She says, "I don’t ever throw them away."  Dad looks at me, I look at her and she says, "why would you say such a thing Jeff?" 

There might’ve been other earlier incidents but this is the earliest one I can remember, an example of the brokenness in my family.  And so inside this 64-year-old body there still lives a child that has been hurt. And sometimes when things happen that hurt this 64-year-old man, the feelings that I have go all the way back to when I was a child. And unfortunately sometimes my response to what is going on is disproportional to what is actually happening in my life.  Sometimes I automatically buy in to all of that hurt from when I was a child.  So if I have overreacted to something that happened between us I’m so very very sorry.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I am leading a River Cruise to Belgium and the Netherlands March 19-27, 2022. If you are interested in reading about the trip or joining in, the link is below.

Click here for the cruise brochure

No comments: