Wednesday, September 29, 2021

more time with people

From time to time I get great things from friends and have to share.  For that matter, my stuff isn't really my stuff.  I have no new thoughts.  Ecclesiastes says, "there is nothing new under the sun."

In response to yesterday's blog this came in from a good friend...

 In 2012 I was returning from a trip to Africa. My wife was not with me on the trip and I was tired and just wanted to get home. On the first leg it looked like I would have the two seat row to myself until the last minute when a youngish Norwegian woman joined. It became obvious she wanted to talk so we talked (I mostly listened). She was worried about her son who was struggling with his sexuality as a teenager. In response, her husband had withdrawn from the son and was drinking to excess. We chatted the whole trip. I prayed with her at the end. She seemed relieved which I mainly attribute to her having someone who listened to her. On my next plane I also thought I could sleep until a young Turkish girl took the seat next to me. She also wanted to talk. She was making her first trip to the US and had some concerns. She was entering the Master’s Program in Mathematics at Michigan State. Would it be cold? It was Michigan in January. I told her she would need warmer clothes. How would she be treated as a Muslim? I told her there are good people everywhere and she would find them. The questions lasted the whole flight. In the end, I put her in contact with a law professor I know at MSU. I’m sure he was kind to her. Bottom line; I never got the nap I wanted and do not regret that a bit. The other bottom line is my reaction in both situations was much more kind than I believe I can claim to be as a person. In Jesus' day he found uses for all kinds of people. HE still does.

I hope you all have stories about being there for people.  Being present for people.  If you don't, today is the day to start.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to be the good.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I am leading a River Cruise to Belgium and the Netherlands March 19-27, 2022.  If you are interested in reading about the trip or joining in, the link is below.

http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/files/uploads/RC22_031922T_TulipTime_002_FINAL-1.pdf

Click here for the brochure


No comments: