Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Pay close attention

I was pretty dry.  I was wondering what to post.  Then out of the blue I got this from my friend Pat.  Pat keep sending me what is on your heart.

Here is what he sent:

I’m learning. At 66, 
I am still learning.

In the military in combat, the old vets rarely covey up with the new replacements. They isolate and keep them at arms length. I always understood it, now I know it.

I have 6 close friends whom I’ve transited life with the last 50 years. Graduations, weddings, child births, divorces, big wins, big losses, vacations and great amounts of laughter. They are the family I built, and I theirs. One of us, John, is a very accomplished musician. He’s played guitar longer than driven a car. Music is, after his wife, kids, and us, his greatest love in live, and I’m not convinced of the order there. Today I learned he has gone totally deaf over the last 6 weeks; there is nothing I can do. And I am broken. Yes there is some accommodation that will be made, might be made, he may have some hearing, but its the first evidence that this family circle is disappearing one piece at a time.

Old people sometimes seem remote. I think it might be for the same reasons that combat veterans are: its too painful to grow close to someone and lose them. I always understood that, but now I know it.

Love intensely. Hang on to those you care about. The pain of them going away is closer than you think.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I am leading a River Cruise to Belgium and the Netherlands March 19-27, 2022.  If you are interested in reading about the trip or joining in, the link is below.

http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/files/uploads/RC22_031922T_TulipTime_002_FINAL-1.pdf

Click here for the brochure

No comments: