Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Naomi Osaka

Naomi Osaka is a 23 year old Japanese tennis player.  Although she had success prior to this, she is probably best know for defeating Serena Williams in the 2018 US Open.

Earlier this year she has not appeared for media events and dropped out of other tennis events.  She has cited ongoing bouts of depression.

Can you imagine the tremendous amount of pressure that are on athletes like her.

I can imagine her thinking, and this is me imagining what she feels like, [I was good, among the best, but now maybe I am not.  The pressure of it all is making me a mess.  I am depressed.]

As we retire and grow older I think that many of us have a feeling like... I used to do that or I used to be that, but now I am not.  It can be depressing for sure.

If you deal with feelings like this, you are not alone.  I saw a counselor a few years ago and she told me that 80% of her clients are people that performed at a high level but are now retired and they don't know what their life is about anymore.

Don't be one of her 80%.  Our life was never about our career.  We were not put here to be a teacher or a custodian or a professional athlete.  We were put here on this earth to love others.  When we forget that, and try to value our lives by what job we held, we will find confusion and depression.

But when we can get up in the morning and love others, we will find the joy again.  You don't have to perform.  You don't have to be the best.  Just get up in the morning and share the love.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I am leading a River Cruise to Belgium and the Netherlands March 19-27, 2022. If you are interested in reading about the trip or joining in, the link is below.

Click here for the cruise brochure

No comments: