Thursday, January 25, 2024

Bomb Shelters

When I was a kid, we lived on the corner of 96th and Walnut.  One of our neighbors, who was involved in the construction industry, had a bomb shelter installed in their yard.

This was the 1960's and we were in the middle of the cold war.  Everyone was worried about the Russians bombing us.

My friends and I used to open the hatch to the bomb shelter and climb down inside.  It was in essence, a big metal can.  It had an air vent and shelves for food.  The thing that I remember the most is how damp and musty it smelled.  We never stayed down there for very long.

Looking back on it now, what were the people thinking?  The whole neighborhood will be blown up, but we can survive down here and then later emerge to a nuclear winter?

Fear causes people to do funny things.  Resist fear.  Trust in God.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

- - - - - - - - -

I am leading a trip to Ireland October 15-24, 2024.
click here for the brochure

If you have questions, feel free to email me at jsbrink57@gmail.com

No comments: