Sunday, August 3, 2008

Daneel Gurrola- the rest of the story

On July 10th, I wrote a post about a memorial that I saw when I was at pastor's camp this summer. Here is the original post from July 10th.

When I was at the pastor's camp in California, along Wurr Road there is a memorial set up for Daneel Gurrola. She was a young woman who died, I believe in her 30's, I am embarrassed to say that I did not write down her birthdate, only her name and the day she died, June 6th, 2005. There was a bench, a headstone, flowers, ornaments and birthday cards. Three years after the fact, those who love her still keep watch and tend to this solitary memorial along side a quiet mountain road. Such ongoing care speaks to the dedication of her friends and family, and to the special nature of the young woman.

There is very little information that I could find on the internet about the woman. A grief note posted this brief comment. "In Loving Memory of Daneel Ann Gurrola Time was not enough for us but your love will last a lifetime. I will always cherish your love, friendship and your selflessness. You were and will always be my love."

I am tempted to comment on the brevity of life. I think of this often. However, something else strikes me about this story. The love that is on display at this memorial reaches out and grabs you. This memorial is in a small meadow next to the road. Someone cut steps into the dirt embankment with a shovel so that you can get up there to remember her.

So here is my point. The people around us are very precious. Cathy, Alli, Jenny, Scott and all of you readers. You are very precious. We should never take those around us for granted. We should be kind to them. Let's show them our love and appreciation every day that we can. Soon enough, there will be grave stones to visit. Say a kind word today. Hug a neck. The people around you are God's gifts to you.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

That is the original post. Now, I have to tell you an amazing thing. Daneel's family and friends, including her fiancee, found my blog post and have sent me more information on her. Here is the rest of the story as shared by her fiancee:

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for the kind words regarding the attention and love shown in the care of Daneel's Memorial site. I think as you read further you will understand why I and others find it an honor to care for her in death as she cared for us in life. Many times as I have passed by the site I have seen people sitting on the bench that Daneel and I used to sit on and wonder if they are hikers who had found a quiet place to rest or one of the many friends that Daneel had made during her much too short life.

In 2003, at the age of 26, Daneel was diagnosed with Cancer. It was one of those mysteries in life. She did not smoke or drink. She ate healthy and was physically active. She underwent 2 major surgeries and numerous Chemo treatments. After 2 years of fighting, she went into Hospice and passed away on June 6, 2005, 2 months after her 29th birthday.

Daneel's adult life was spent working with children. During the school year, she worked as the camp nurse at various Outdoor Education camps in the area. In the summer, she worked as the park naturalist at Memorial Park where she would teach campers young and old about nature and the environment. She was known to hundreds of children and adults by the nature name that she had adopted: Possum. I remember many times going shopping with her in the Bay Area and hearing a child call Possum! Possum! And run up to her and tell her all about what had been going on in their lives since she last saw them at the Outdoor Ed. Camp or Memorial Park. Most of these children had only met her once or twice in their lifetime, but the impression that she had made on them was as clear as the love they showed for her.

In our community, Daneel served with me on the Loma Mar Volunteer Fire Department and on the Loma Mar Disaster Preparedness Committee. She was an EMT and Firefighter as well as our Easter Bunny during our annual egg hunt and Smokey the Bear in local parades. She obtained her CPR/First Aid Instructors card through the Red Cross and trained anyone who was interested at no charge. She volunteered her time at these classes and when money was offered, she would hand them our Fire Departments donation jar. Daneel was active on the Fire Department even while undergoing Chemo. In one instance, she responded to a medical call in the middle of the night, having earlier that day undergone Chemo herself. She told me that she knew that she may not be physically strong enough to help but that she had to do what she could for our neighbor.

Daneel also volunteered in Hawaii, watching over and protecting, new turtle hatchlings on the beaches. I have many photos of her helping them get to the water and safety.

Daneel attended UCSC until her illness made it impossible. She wanted more than anything to become a social worker and work with women and children as her career. Daneel's life was not spent in personal pursuits or monetary gain, rather, it was spent helping and improving the lives of others. She did not have a PHD, a fancy car or an expensive home but she had an abundance of love, respect and selflessness.

The site that you stumbled across was chosen by Daneel as I sat with her in Hospice. This is the field that we use at Easter for our egg hunt. It is the field where the youngest egg hunters go and the field where Daneel was the Easter Bunny.

I will close this note with a saying that Daneel loved so much:“Live Well”, “Laugh Often”, “Love Much”
------
So, now you know a little bit more of the story of this wonderful woman and those who loved her. What do we do with this?

I guess I want to say to her friends and family, thank you for sharing, and thank you for loving. If you are ever in Kansas City, please look me/us up, we would love to meet you and hug you. And conversely, any of you who have the opportunity to go to Northern California, try to take the time to stop by and visit this memorial. Give thanks for Daneel's life and pray for those who knew her and miss her so. I for one, will be going back.

I would also remind the readers of this blog..............

1. When you hear of the suffering or death of someone far away that you do not know, be well assured, that someone knows them and someone loves them, and their grief is real. Their lives are real and even though many miles may separate us, we can care for them and pray for them.

2. As I said in the original blog post- the people around you are so valuable. When was the last time that you said, "thank you" or "I love you?" Go do it right now. Call someone today and tell them that you love them.

3. We have today. As Daneel's fiancee wrote, : “Live Well”, “Laugh Often”, “Love Much.”
This is the day that the Lord God has given us. Let's make the most of it.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

How amazing that they found your blog! It was awesome to read more about Daneel's life.

Take care,
Kara

Lion's Den Man said...

Jeff,

After reading the blog this morning and before going to church I read this in Max Lucado’s Grace for the Moment VII. This post, your sermon along with this reading made me come to terms with the fact I have some repair work to do……

August 3rd Grace for the Moment VII

Someday. The enemy of risky love is a love snake whose tongue has mastered the talk of deception. “Someday,” he hisses.
“Someday, I can take her on the cruise.”
“Someday, I will have the time to call and chat.”
“Someday, the children will understand why I was so busy.”
But you know the truth, don’t you? You know even before I write it. You could say it better than I.
Some days never come. And the price of practicality is sometimes higher than extravagance. But the rewards of risky love are always greater than its cost.
Go to the effort. Invest the time. Write the letter. Make the apology. Take the trip. Purchase the gift. Do it. The seized opportunity renders joy. The neglected brings regret.



1 John 4:12. If we love each other, God lives in us, and his love is made perfect in us.


Peace,
Lion’s Den Man

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm Julie. Daneel is my best friend. I say IS, not was, because there will never be another to measure up and I feel her around me at all times. She had such spirit and love of life, and she persued that life to the fullest. There was nothing she did, no one she cared about that she didn't give 150% of herself to. She taught me about Grace and courage, and that life is too short to waste on fear. Thank you for acknowledging my soul sister. Bless you.

Anonymous said...

Hi I arrived today from The Netherlands. As I had some time to spend I took a ride in the La Honda area. When I felt tired from the flight I decided to sit in the grass somewhere and read a book. After sometime a man in a van arrived and he asked me if I would mind if he would make some noise cutting down the weed. Ofcourse not I said. He told me afterwards that there was a bench as a memorial for his fiancee. I did not have the chance to ask him more. I went to the bench and saw the memorial stine for Daneel. It made me feel verry quiet. I sat and read my book and thought about how lucky I am being healthy and having a wife and three kids. I felt bad I did not take the time to tslk to Daneel's fiancee, but luckily through this blog I know now what a special woman Daneel has been.

Kind regards,
Frank