Friday, August 15, 2008

squirrels

I am sorry, but I hate squirrels. I used to think they were cute. That is before they started eating holes in our house. Now, If they have a nest in a tree on our property, I get a ladder and a stick and knock it apart until it all comes down. I am a bad shot, but if I get a chance.........

Well, they just won't get the message. They keep coming back. They keep hanging in my yard. They keep building nests in my trees. I have often thought "they just aren't very smart." But, something else occurred to me yesterday..... They are just trying to live. They are just doing what they do. Surviving, scrapping, getting by, any way that they can.

Sometimes I think we humans feel like that too. "No great answers, no great directions, just getting by." Surviving. Doing what we must do to keep going. Hoping that around the next corner we will find some morsel of meaning and purpose.

When I start to feel this way, I am so thankful that I am a Christian. Being a follower of Jesus provides us with something amazing: hope. Hope has an uncanny ability to lift our spirits, to give us direction, to make everything ok. Faith, hope and love abide in our hearts as gifts from God. Let's remind ourselves of this when we get discouraged.

Hope: I hope the squirrels leave my yard.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Random . . . you are so random, yet so meaningful . . . and with such an ability to take an off-the-wall topic and bring it value and meaning. You should write a book . . . although you wouldn't really have to write because it's already written . . . more of an exercise in combining all your short stories with awesome messages! God most definitely speaks to us through you, Jeff! kb

Anonymous said...

Persistence pays!
Luke 18:1-8a
1Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. 2He said: "In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared about men. 3And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, 'Grant me justice against my adversary.'
4"For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, 'Even though I don't fear God or care about men, 5yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won't eventually wear me out with her coming!' "

6And the Lord said, "Listen to what the unjust judge says. 7And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? 8I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly. :)

Anonymous said...

Random and not-so-philosophical thought: So why does Lou take care of the rabbits and not the squirrels?

TW