Tuesday, August 19, 2008

everything is ok

Today I feel that the world is crashing in. Circumstances are loading up.

My wife's travel schedule has increased and she is gone even more than before.

I saw my son off to his first day of school today. This is the last "first day of school" for our family. Next year, they are all in college.

My daughter wrecked her car.

People that I care about are in trouble.

Sometimes life just piles on. Can you relate? What do you do. Cry. Yes, crying is good. Needful. But after that, what do you do?

Dave talked about perseverance at the men's group today. When times are tough, you persevere. The word perseverance has no meaning unless there are challenges in your life. You persevere. You put one hopeful foot in front of the other. You stay the course and make it to the other side. You can't see the other side, but it is still there.

You remind yourself that everything is ok. Everything really is ok, you know. Marriages survive a spouse travelling. Mine certainly will. People learn to be ok by themselves. I will. Wrecked cars have been repaired. This one will be. Other parents have survived the empty nest. We will. Many people have persevered trouble. These people will. Everything is ok. It's just life. That's what it is. It's ok. In fact, its good. Pain, struggle and all, it is still good. having the opportunity to tell you this, and tell myself this, has made me feel better. I see the clouds parting. Hey, the sun did come up today. Everything is ok.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff,
Glad you got yourself to a better spot. It is sometimes hard to gain perspective. When my employees come to me with overwhelming pressure I tell them a quick story. I had a builder (who was partner of Dan Horns) tell me this when I asked him how he was holding up to a tight schedule/difficult customers. He said, "Erik, this isnt pressure. Pressure is lying in a fox hole, frozen and wet, at 4:30am, watching your buddy get blown to pieces and thinking you are next."
I guess it could always be worse.
eb

Anonymous said...

Thank you, I needed that! The past 4 years have been very tough for our family. But God always comes through! Pretty cool how that works. Have a good day!

Lion's Den Man said...

“Circumstances/Problems in our lives”. What and easy topic to relate to, but at times a hard one to share. Mine pale in comparison to so many others. How do you share small problems without sounding like a whiner? If I am up in the middle of the night does that add value to my problem or am I just a worrier. I suppose I should try to put it all in perspective and just look at the bright side of everything and hope my problems either disappear or the level of importance I have given them diminishes. But, that is tough………. everything is relative.

Problems, like sin, are a common thread we all share. Should we give one more weight than the other? If they are affecting our lives in a negative manner don’t they need attention? I have found that close friends can help you overcome and persevere. Good close friends that you let into your life can even help you avoid a challenge or obstacle they see heading your way. But, we have to let them into our lives so they can help. Maybe we (I) shouldn’t put a tag of big or small on my problems and just drop my guard and let others help me get through it……….whatever it is………Helping one another so we don’t go it alone. I need to remember that is a big part of His plan.

This just turned out to be the talk I needed to have. Thanks for sharing, listening and being a friend.


Peace,
Lion’s Den Man

Anonymous said...

Paul wrote that "in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose" Praise the Lord!

DT