Sunday, August 17, 2008

That ain't love

I have been thinking about a line from last week's sermon: "If I want something from you, it's not love."

Interestingly enough, I was listening to some music and the REO Speedwagon song came on titled, "that ain't love." Here are some of the lyrics to the song.

You tell me what you think I'm feelin'
You know why I do what I do
Why should you listen to a word I'm sayin
'When it's already so clear to you

That ain't love, I believe you've got the wrong emotion
That ain't love, at least it doesn't feel like love to me
As long as I say what you wanna hear
Do what you wanna do, be who you want me to be
You think that's love, well baby that ain't love to me

We've got to talk it over sometime
These feelings won't just disappear
I'm just gonna keep telling you what's on my mind
Even if it's not what you wanna hear

that ain't love, I believe you've got the wrong emotion
That ain't love, at least it doesn't feel like love to me
As long as I say what you wanna hear
Do what you wanna do, be who you want me to be
You think that's love, well baby that ain't love to me

You keep tellin' me
You know a place where your life would be better
You're makin' plans long-range
But I don't know how you expect to get there
When you refuse to change -

Oooh baby - that ain't love, I believe you've got the wrong emotion
No baby, that ain't love, at least it doesn't feel like love to me
As long as I say what you wanna hear
Do what you wanna do, be who you want me to be
You think that's love, well baby that ain't love to me

So, love is on my mind. What is it? We think we are so smart. We think we know about love, but most of our love is so self serving. What happens to our love when someone challenges us? What happens to our love when things don't go our way? Where does our love go? Somehow, real love is not disturbed by such things. It lives beyond circumstances, it lives beyond whether or not you like me. It is powerful in ways that are hard to describe. True love enters the worst of situations and brings healing. True love is not the love that humans speak of, true love that Christians should pursue is as big as the heart of God.

The grinch's heart grew. Three times larger as I recall. That is what I want. Somehow that sounds alot like love to me. Let's keep chasing it. We are gonna get there.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Also look at the Tina Turner lyrics "What's Love Got to Do with It?

Anonymous said...

And speaking of songs, Don Henly (Eagles) sang, "so often times it happens we live our lives in chains, never really knowing WE have the key.

I've always loved that line.

And then I got thrown off with Ian Anderson's (jethro tull) "he who made kittens put snakes in the grass"

I could go on but I'll spare you.....:-) Stuff that just makes you think