Thursday, August 14, 2008

Learning from failure

Yesterday, Alli wrecked her car. Traffic was slowing down on I-70 and she didn't notice or was a bit too close. The result was that she met the driver in front of her and shortly thereafter, a tow truck driver and a policeman. The car will recover, new hood, new radiator and grill. No one was hurt. That is good.

Although I have talked to my kids 1,000 times about following too closely, all three of them have now hit someone from behind. Sometimes that is the only way that they will learn. They won't listen to Dad, but maybe now they will remember the wreck and back off a bit.

We can learn from our failures. I tell our staff that I don't want us to learn from failures. I want us to avoid failures and make good decisions. But, if we do fail, and we all do, there is always something to learn if we are willing.

Maybe there is something in your life that has not gone well. Learn from it. If there is any joy to come out of difficulty, it is that we choose to grow from it and do better the next time around.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: