Saturday, August 16, 2008

judging others

When people are judged it is very painful. Painful for them of course, but also painful for the community because the community is now focused on the negative instead of being focused on the good or the joy in life.

There are many reasons why we should not judge others. Jesus warns against it in Mt. 7. I was recently reminded of another reason. Here it is: you just don't have any idea where a person is coming from or where they have been.

Here is a story from my youth. I was 11 years old, so give me a break. It was 1968 and Jackie Kennedy married Aristotle Onassis. I asked my mother, "why would a nice, pretty lady marry an old rich dude?" "Did she need his money?" My mother answered with this, "you know son, after everything that Jackie Kennedy has been through, we have no right to judge her decisions." I didn't understand. I asked my mom, "what has she been through?" Mom said, "well, just imagine what happens to your heart and life when you are in a car with your husband and he is shot in the head." Mom went on to be a bit more graphic, and she made her point. Here is a woman who had experienced the incredibly painful side of life. Who was I to pick at her now?

The next time you see someone do something that you wonder about, ask yourself, "do I really know anything about what makes them tick?" Maybe they have been hurt. Maybe they were abused. Maybe they have a sick kid. If we knew how wounded some people are by life, we would probably be a bit more kind to them.

Also, you know, we just have to focus on the good. Life is too short to be stuck on what is wrong with other people. There is plenty of good, plenty to celebrate. Let's spend our time looking for that.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Hazel said...

This is an especially beautiful reminder about grace.