Thursday, August 21, 2008

when the Spirit meets my preference

I prefer for things to stay the same. I prefer not to be challenged. I prefer to have things be as easy and convenient for me as possible.

Then I hear the voice of the Holy Spirit. Quietly, calmly inviting me to listen. Reaching past my brain and into my soul. Washing away my excuses and my reservations. Calling me to take up the cross. Inviting me to hear the call.

When the Spirit meets my preference, my preference melts away. Those who find the remarkable work of the Lord have learned to put their personal comfort behind the call of the mission.

It's a beautiful day in God's world. When we want our own way, we find frustration. No matter what we do, there is always something wrong. When we give up trying to control the outcome of our lives, we are open to the Spirit. When we stop trying to make it turn out so that it is good for me, we can begin to put our trust in God and watch His purpose unfold. If you want to see the beauty of the day, let go of your preference and listen for the Holy Spirit.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not certain this belongs here, but I thought I would offer this post. Wow am I saddened. I just read about a teen fatally shooting another teen in Knoxville in the school cafeteria. I read earlier about two different fatal shooting by very young teens this year in KCK. I am so thankful that WCC and all churches that have strong youth programs. When teens are shooting teens anarchy cannot be very far off. Connecting our children and our youth to Jesus is critically important. Nothing can be more important that that.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jeff.