Friday, August 1, 2008

when it goes our way

When it doesn't go our way, we tend to whine. I have a cavity, I got a flat tire, I didn't get the promotion. My grass is dying, my house needs to be painted. Lightning split a tree in my back yard. I have gray hair. On and on we go, complaining when things don't go our way.

Well, have you ever thought to give thanks when things do go your way?

Yes it needs to be painted, but I do own a home. Yes the tree is split, but we sure did need the rain. I didn't get the promotion, but I do have a job. It may be gray, but I do have some hair.

Yesterday, a couple of things went very right for me. I ordered a doorbell for a neighbor. A strange little hard to find door bell. It came in the mail in two days and it was a perfect match. it took five minutes to put on.

Yesterday, I had a tire going flat. I made it home, jacked it up, removed the tire, and found the leak. The valve stem was cracked. I took it to the tire store for repair. Charge? $1.75 no $1.86 with tax. I took the tire home and put it back on the car.

Today I have a happy neighbor and a car with air in the tires.

Dear God, I want to thank you for challenges that come up. I want to thank you especially when the challenges get solved quickly. Thank you for your friendship and your presence with me. Amen.

Is there something in your life that is going well? Something that you should give thanks for? Take a moment and offer it up.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just had to bring up having hair didn't you...:-) When you can get to the point when you realise billions of people would gladly trade you problems...it kind of makes the issues we have seem small.
The cancer patient would gladly take on my back ache. I want to thank you Jeff for this "blog" (what an odd name) Its a little pick me up every morning, to put me in the right frame of mind and I have gotten so much from it. Much like your sermons I often think its directed right at me.
How you come up with something so relevant everyday is beyond me but I'm greatfull and wanted to say so.

Anonymous said...

Ditto to Dodds comments. I am feeling blessed to have eyes to read what you so eloquently write to us each and every day. I'm always amazed that you know JUST what to say. Glad you'll be back this Sunday so we can see you and hear you in person all refreshed and renewed!

Anonymous said...

We are blessed to have you as a pastor! You provide us with inspiration and self-reflection. I often wonder where we would be without you and WCC.