Friday, August 22, 2008

selflessness

Self-less-ness. Those rare moments when we do something for another, and expect nothing in return. They are truly glorious and joyful moments, but unfortunately, they don't come as often as we think.

You gave someone a gift. Self-less? Not if you expect a thank you. Not if you expect to be appreciated. Not if you expect something in return.

The self is sneaky. It has been a part of our lives for so long, it just hangs around and we don't even see it. I sometimes sneak up behind people at the office and when they see me right behind them, they are startled. I don't think we are surprised or startled by the self. It is so much a part of us that we don't even smell ourselves being oriented towards the self.

Jesus said, 24For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. 25What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self? Luke 9:24-25 NIV

Imagine a day without the self. image giving gifts and expecting nothing in return. Imagine acts of kindness with absolutely no strings attached. I buy your lunch and I don't care if you say thank you, or if you ever reciprocate. I care for my children or my wife with no expectations that they will be nice back to me. I never make anyone feel guilty for not meeting my personal needs. I am simply filled with the joy of giving and caring in the name of Jesus Christ.

When I think of the possibility of self-less action, I am motivated for the day. Let's go. Let's go and truly serve. Nothing in this for me except the joy of giving and caring, with no strings attached. That sounds good. Clean. Whole. Holy.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: