Thursday, August 7, 2008

Lou the rabbit killer

Well, it happens about every year. Some low i.q. rabbit makes a burrow in our back yard. Inevitably, the rabbit has little rabbits. I think Lou the dog waits until they come out of their hole and run around. Then he catches them, chews them up, and throws them into the air. He is always very happy with himself when he has rabbit blood on his little schnauzer chin.

Yesterday was his day. I was watering flowers about 7pm and I heard the squeaking of little animals. I called for Scott to come out. Scott and Lou are good friends. I wanted my son to see what a killer his dog is. Poor Scott, he is heartsick over the chewed in half rabbits. Half alive, sure to die, he picks them up and disposes of them. He has the feeling that everyone has when you have to put one of God's little critters out of their misery.

I guess even with losing 14 teeth a few weeks ago, Lou can still control his territory. I want to know why he eats rabbits but likes the cats. He lets cats share his pillow. This is not right. When is he going to turn on the cats? I should be so lucky. Maybe if I put long, floppy ears on them.........
It is an unfortunate lesson of life that "only the strong survive." There is a food chain and it is hard to grow accustomed to one of God's creation eating another. God's world is fearfully and wonderfully made. I stand in awe of the mystery of how it all works.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well we from across the street can share in the heartache. Our 2 girls nailed a dove in the yard in addition to several baby rabbits last year.

Anonymous said...

Can we borrow Lou?