Thursday, August 28, 2008

If we do not say goodbye

Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake,
I pray the Lord my soul to take.

If I should die suddenly, we will not have any time to say our goodbyes. Somehow when this happens, when I lose someone without being able to say goodbye, I always feel shorted. I wish I could have told them how much I loved them.

If I should die suddenly, don't worry about the goodbye. We don't measure our life together by the last thing that we said to each other or how long ago it was that we saw one another. We measure our life together by the daily celebration of knowing one another. So today, let me say it, I love you. I'm so thankful for every moment that we have together. I am rich because I know you, I am full because you are in my life. Thank you.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Back at ya, Paula

Savage Family said...

Thank you for your post. A relative had a massive heart attack today and we are unsure whether we will speak to her again. Thank you for the reminder that ALL our moments with loved ones are precious.

Unknown said...

It's so "funny" - we just talked this weekend about this child's prayer. We change the words to "...and angels watch me through the night, and wake me with the morning light" for the last two lines... I just can't pray with my four-year-old children using the words "if I die before I wake." I can't imagine them leaving me suddnely. But you're right, it isn't about those last few seconds of life anyway, it is about knwoing that we are loved and cared for EVERY moment of life.

Thanks, Jeff!

Kara