Monday, March 30, 2020

looking for helpers

My friend Kim reminded me of the Mr. Rodgers story...

When I was a boy, and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would always say to me, “Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.”

The other day a reader told me that she needed toilet paper.  I asked for her address.  I was going to do one of two things.  I was either going to mail her some TP, or better yet, since she lives in Blue Springs, MO., I was going to call a friend who told me that they had plenty and ask him to deliver some to her.  Turns out the Blue Springs friend was kidding.

And so I have another story.  Every time I think of it, it brings tears to my face.  In fact, I just had to take a break from writing because I was sobbing.  

It was probably 2001.  The sermon was about helping others.  Towards the end of the sermon, in order to try to help put a face on the concept of helping a person in need, I asked a person to come up to the front.  I don't remember who the others were at the other services, but at 10:10 the person that I asked to come up was Dan Horn.  I didn't explain much to them before the service, simply that I needed their help and I promised that I would not embarrass them.  Would they come up when I called?  Sure.

And so the sermon was ending, and I asked Dan to come forward.  I explained to the people that sometime this week, Dan was going to have a flat tire on the side of the road.  He was going to need someone to call.  I said to the folks, "I want to know which of you will go out of your way and leave your comfort zone to help Dan.  If you are willing, tear a piece of paper off of the bulletin.  Write down your name and phone number.  Come up to the front and give it to Dan."

I asked the musicians to play some music.  What we witnessed next was amazing.  hundreds of people, young and old came down front, hugged Dan and gave him their phone number.  

I told them... this is why we are here.  To be here for one another and to love one another.

Later that day Dan called me.  He had over 200 phone numbers.  His favorite was this note from a 13 year old... "My name is _______ I don't have a car, and I don't drive, I am 13.  But I have a bike with pegs and I will come to get you.  Just call.  My number is ___-____.

So, If you are out there, and you are willing to help someone, I would like to post your name and phone number on the blog for other readers that may need help. Send me an email at jsbrink57@gmail.com and give me your name, your number or email and where you live. I want people in Lee's Summit, Vero Beach, Blue Springs, Ft. Pierce, Independence and anywhere else to know that there are still helpers in this world.

“Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.”

No comments: