Monday, March 2, 2020

positives outweigh the negatives

This year I have been trying to focus on certain words and their meaning and impact spiritually. Recently I gave a presentation on the word “love” and some thoughts on what it means to us. As part of my preparation, I reread the 13th chapter of 1st Corinthians, the aptly named “love chapter”. When Paul lists what love is, a part of it really hit me hard. “love keeps no record of wrongs”. That’s not one I can claim to be very good at.

While I can and do forgive, it seems that I remember and preserve every hurtful thing that has ever happened to me. I’m sorry to say I spent some of the lead up time to my 50th HS reunion reliving old slights, all of which are 50 years old and none of which actually mattered at the reunion.

People change. That’s what I have resolved to do. Now when I start to get mired down in some negative episode from my past, I try to move on to some other advice from Paul in Philippians. I think about those things that are good and excellent. Funny how many such things there have been in my life. Living with and loving others can include pain but, now that I think about it, it is far outweighed by the positives. I’m going to try to dwell on those moving forward.

reprinted with permission from my friend Brian.

Update:  On another note, thank you for praying for my friend Jeff.  It is not me, it is a friend named Jeff.  I was very concerned about his condition.  Good news is he has a virus.  Nothing terminal.  I can't see him for two weeks because he is contagious, but he will get well.  Thanks for your prayers.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com
- - - - - - - -

I am leading a trip to Ireland in July... If you are interested in reading about it, or joining in, the link is below.....

Treasures of Ireland
July 13-22, 2020
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/ir20071320a17768#eotours

No comments: