Sunday, March 22, 2020

Russia

I had the privilege of going to Russia several times in 2000, 2002 and 2006.  The first time that I came back home, my friend John Knorr had the praise band play "Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back"  From the TV show welcome back Kotter.

Russia was never easy.  I met people that had one set of clothes.  I met people who lived with food scarcity.   I met people that hated Americans.  I saw grocery stores with empty shelves.  I saw starving cats.  I saw crumbling infrastructure.  I couldn't wait to get home.

I could write for a week on things that I remember from Russia and I might do that sometime.  But today I simply want to tell you a story about Pastor Lev.  My dear friend Aaron Brown and I stayed with Pastor Lev and his wife in the town of Orel, near Kiev.  In the morning, Pastor Lev would get on the phone and call members of his congregation.  The calls sounded like this... "good morning my friend.  what do you have to eat today?  Crackers?  Ok, Good.  We have some fish.  Leo has some jelly.  Karl has some tarts.  My wife is going to stop by the community garden and get some broccoli.  Lets meet up at three for the daily meal."

They shared what they had.  They lived with food scarcity, but they shared what they had.  There was a kindness, a joy and a kinship because of their mutual needs.

And here is where I am going with this...
If you run out of toilet paper, if you run out of food, if you run out of hugs, if you run out of anything, we will share with you.

Let's get together and be a family.  In the midst of this fear and crazy time, lets get together and feel alright.

I love you.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - -

I am leading a trip to Ireland in July... If you are interested in reading about it, or joining in, the link is below.....

Treasures of Ireland
July 13-22, 2020
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/ir20071320a17768#eotours

No comments: