Saturday, March 14, 2020

poetry, singing and the small things

I went to a luncheon the other day. The invocation was given by a Scottish woman, who closed it with a poem by Robert Byrne.   Pretty high brow, huh?

Poetry.
I remember doing poetry as a kid in high school, but not since, I mean, Chaucer? or Frost (something about a wall.) but... I don't remember.

Every time I sing a song, in my head, or whistle it as I walk, or do karaoke (OK that doesn't happen much except with my kids, on a night out), what I'm doing is poetry. Most song lyrics are just that... poetry. Songs are just poetry put to music. See, if you sing, you do poetry too.

Sometime I don't think I am very religious, but then I realize that the dinner I cooked, the doors I held open, the cookies I bought for church, and the other little things count. You do that too: handing out a dollar on the street, taking a minute for a friend who needs to talk, showing up at the Girl Scout meeting, or picking up your neighbors paper, and a thousand other things. You are doing it.

Being a Christian means living with your neighbor in mind and taking care of him (or her) in a way you'd appreciate if the roles were reversed. It can be big things, but more often it's not, its the small things.

Cheer up, you're doing better than you thought, every day. And you are even reciting poetry when you sing Bruce Springsteen when he comes on in the car.

Printed with permission of my friend Pat...

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - -

I am leading a trip to Ireland in July... If you are interested in reading about it, or joining in, the link is below.....

Treasures of Ireland
July 13-22, 2020
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/ir20071320a17768#eotours

No comments: