Sunday, March 8, 2020

Why I don't tell people


Why I don’t tell people my profession

I was out with my brother in law a few weeks ago and we got into a conversation with someone.  They wanted to know what I did for a living before I retired.  I told them that I was an engineer for Black and Veatch.  What kind of an engineer?  Mechanical.  That satisfied their curiosity and we went on.

My brother in law asked the obvious… “Why didn’t you tell them what you did for a living?”  Why didn’t I tell them that I was a pastor?  Here is why…

I want people to know me for me.  I want them to be able to be real with me.  I want them to be able to relax and just be themselves.

If they find out that you are or were a pastor, they often clam up.  They think things like:
Are you going to judge me?
Are you going to try and save me?
Are you one of the ones that used the church to line your pockets?
Are you going to act like you are holier than thou?

As you can see, there are good reasons for not telling people that you are a preacher.  After I get to know them, it always comes out anyway, but by that time, they have got to know me and we like each other and they are not so freaked out about me being a preacher.

I look forward to getting to know you.  I look forward to having a real relationship with you.  You can be yourself around me.

And say hi to my friends at Black and Veatch.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.

Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com
- - - - - - - -

I am leading a trip to Ireland in July... If you are interested in reading about it, or joining in, the link is below.....

Treasures of Ireland
July 13-22, 2020
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/ir20071320a17768#eotours

No comments: