Saturday, March 5, 2022

oblivious

I am oblivious and I am spoiled and I fear that I am not the only one.

Last week I was sitting in an Italian restaurant in Vero Beach. I was enjoying my family. I was eating bread dipped in oil. We had drinks. I ate spaghetti and meatballs. It was quite an enjoyable time.

And all the while, as I am just enjoying a beautiful evening, the capital of Ukraine is being attacked by Russian forces.

And so in the middle of this nice dinner, my brain stops. How can I be so heartless... there is so much suffering in this world. My life is so blessed, and others are suffering.  I didn't say anything at the table because I didn't want to ruin the moment, but my brain did stop and consider how easy it is to live on auto-pilot.

Ukrainian woman weeping

The only good that I can find in this story is that I must grow in compassion. I must grow in awareness. I must grow in appreciation. I must grow in generosity. I must grow in empathy. I must grow in thoughtfulness.

And I am shocked, dismayed and confused by how my life is this way and their life is that way. What do you think about that? How do you find the good in that? Do I deserve such a good life? Did I earn this?

Why was I born in America instead of Nicaragua or the Ukraine?

May we all work hard to make it a beautiful day in God's world, for all of His children, so all of His children, all over the world can see the good.

No comments: