Thursday, October 19, 2023

Faith part 2

I posted last Sunday about faith.  One of the things that I said was that "God does not exist to solve our problems."

One of my readers wanted clarification.... if God is not in the business of solving our problems, then why do we pray?

Great question.  Here is how I would answer:  God might solve our problem, might intervene to fix a situation, but lets face reality.  People with lots of prayers going on, still lose loved ones.  Just because prayer is not a guarantee of an outcome does not mean that we should not pray.  We can certainly pray for what we want, but we should always include the phrase, "not my will but thine be done."

The other comment that I would make is a thought about the purpose of prayer.  In my opinion, prayer does not exist for us to change God's mind or control him.  Prayer is there to make us sweeter.  Prayer should make us more kind.  Prayer should help us to find peace as we fall into the workings of God in this world.

So, no, God does not exist to solve our problems.  He cares about our problems, but our primary engagement with God should not be to insist that he play Santa Claus, but rather our primary engagement with God should be for us to get lost in his love.  

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.
- - - - - - - - - -

I am leading a trip to Ireland October 15-24, 2024.
click here for the brochure
If you have questions, feel free to email me at jsbrink57@gmail.com

No comments: