Monday, October 23, 2023

religious or decent

If given the choice between being a religious person or a decent person, which would you choose?

My friend Arlene sent me an article about Americans losing their religion. There was this quote that I found to be interesting. One person that was interviewed said,

click here to read the entire article

"I'm not involved in any kind of religious group whatsoever," he said. "I'm involved in being a decent human being to the people I meet."

When I was a kid, I was taught that being good or decent did not get you into heaven. You had to follow the formulas of the church.

These days, I am more convinced that being a person of love is the only thing that matters and that the formulas of the church were largely developed to maintain power over followers.

Probably the best example that supports this way of thinking is the story of the Good Samaritan. In that story that Jesus tells, the religious people pass by on the other side. The hero of the story is the broken, hated, outcast Samaritan who stops to help.

No wonder that so many people are leaving organized religion.

Having said this... there are some examples of churches that I know of that are worth joining and worth supporting. One of them is Ft. Pierce First UMC, the other is Woods Chapel UMC. I am sure there are others, but if you are looking for a church, look for one that is missional. Missional churches focus on sharing God's love, and that is what it is all about.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

- - - - - - - - - -

I am leading a trip to Ireland October 15-24, 2024.
click here for the brochure
If you have questions, feel free to email me at jsbrink57@gmail.com

No comments: