Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Tailgating

Tailgating or, thoughts on following too close.

One of the things that annoys me the most in life is riding in a car with a driver who follows too closely.  I used to do this until I ran into the back of a jeep.  That was 1997.  My kids think that I drive like a grandpa, but I don't care.  I am not going to run into another car again.

I am not sure why people tailgate.  It is after all, against the law.  It is also dangerous.  I just assume that everyone was taught the "one car length rule."  The one car length rule teaches us that for every 10 miles per hour, you leave one car length between you and the car in front of you.  But you might say, then someone will jump in front of me... yes, they might, but then you back off to the correct and safe following distance.  Just because someone else is driving like a maniac, does not mean that you should.

When I was learning to drive, my father told me, "son, you have the basics down, now you just need to work on driving so that others in the car are comfortable."

Please have mercy on those who are travelling with you.  Don't go more than 5mph over the speed limit and keep a safe and legal following distance.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.
- - - - - - - - - -

I am leading a trip to Ireland October 15-24, 2024.
click here for the brochure
If you have questions, feel free to email me at jsbrink57@gmail.com

No comments: