Monday, August 6, 2007

5 reasons why I can't sleep

Hi. It's 3:30 in the morning. Normal people are asleep. I wish I was. Why can't I sleep?

1. I had a bad dream about one of my kids.
2. I have a minor tooth ache.
3. I can't get my mind off of something that happened yesterday.
4. There is a noise in the house that is working against me.
5. My throat hurts.
6. I am hungry and thirsty.

Ok that was six. Number six shouldn't count. How can I be hungry and thirsty in the middle of the night? That is silly.

Well, I guess it is time for me to hear the birds sing. Time for me to listen to a dose of my own medicine. See the good Jeff, see the good.

You know it shouldn't be that hard. 500 things happened yesterday. 498 of them were good.

What were some of the good things that happened?

1. we had a big crowd at church.
2. the new gospel choir rocked.
3. the sermon seemed fine.
4. I saw lots of folks who are real busy in the summer. Man it was good to see them.
5. We had a big seminar in the afternoon and got to tell 60 folks from all over the country about Woods Chapel Church.
6. I saw a group of volunteers work very hard to make the entire day, including the seminar come off without a hitch.
7. There was a camino at our church. Busy, crowded, but always a good thing. Several people have a brighter sense of joy in their life today because of it.
8. I talked to 100+ people yesterday who seemed genuinely glad to see me.
9. My kids are safe.
10. My family is healthy.
11.

Ok, you know, I really don't have anything to complain about. Sorry. Sorry for keeping you up at this time of the night. It's good. It's all good. It's all very good. We should remember that.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

4 comments:

InkyLynne said...

Gospel Choir was just TOO COOL yesterday.It was interesting to watch the reaction of the various services, by 11:15 they were clapping with us!!But the BEST thing was that back in the right corner was an African American man and his wife.His smile was so wide and so bright that you couldn't miss it.He was standing up and singing and clapping along. It was hard to watch Kris; his reaction was: "you are singing MY music". I went up to him after the service and introduced myself and told him how glad I was the he enjoyed our music.He was so excited that he HAD to meet Kris!
What a great feeling, to have reached out to someone through our music, to make someone feel at home, that they belonged. That is what I call a GOOD day!!!

youngfloyd said...

A lot of people sleep well at night because they know that a caring pastor is concerned about their personal and spiritual well being. When you can't sleep at night because of the burdens you bare, remember that you are a special person to many people.

May God continue to bless you and your family.

Michelle Oberbroeckling said...

Join the crowd I too was up at 3:30 this morning....hmm I guess I do have a very valid reason the beautiful 4 week old baby girl I get to look at every day.

I am so thankful for you Jeff.

Michelle O.

jdancy said...

Oh, I was up too! I thought that my sweet baby girl learned to sleep through the night and bragged to all my friends about it. Well, we were up for a couple of hours. She smiles at me now and I get to thank the Lord for my wonderful family, my wonderful friends and my wonderful pastor.
Jennifer