Sunday, August 12, 2007

One down, one to go.

We took Jenny down to MU yesterday. I still haven't cried, but I can feel it in there, so I am sure it will come out pretty soon. Alli is going down to Warrensburg on Friday.

It is hard to let them go. To watch them grow up and move away. But, it is what we are supposed to do.

On the way home in the car, the Cat Stevens song, "Father and Son" came on. One line always sticks in my brain that the son sings: "from the moment I could talk, I was ordered to listen." Haunting words. Makes me think about what kind of a parent I have been. You can't be their friend, but.........was I too tough?

I have always believed that children need a balance of discipline and love. The discipline keeps them on course, the love helps them see the good in life, and the love also makes the discipline palatable.

When your kids grow up and move away, you have to remake yourself. You have to find a new purpose. You have to rediscover your life. You have to learn to be alone but not lonely.

Speaking of alone, Cathy is going back on the road in September. Ahh, something else to deal with. You know, about the time that life gets comfy, there is something else to deal with.

Clay starts work today. That's a good thing.

Well, it is a hot August day, but it is still a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: