Monday, August 27, 2007

out of retirement

I went to the Sunday night service, last night of course. Then I drove to Blue Springs Park to watch our softball teams. I have been busy and have not been out to watch any of the games during the fall season. For those of you who don't know, WCC has 10 men's softball teams that play on Sunday night.

I am watching the 7:00 game and my cell phone rings. It is the coach of one of the 8:00 teams. He hears that I am in the stands. He needs a player. Ha! Ha Ha!! I am in jeans, tennis shoes and a polo shirt. No problem he says. He will bring me shoes, shorts, a glove and a shirt.

They are clearly desperate. They have called all day and they can't find anyone to play for them. I am the last number they call before they forfeit.

This is the original Woods Chapel team. When we only had one. It was the Woods Chapel Church team. Then the Woods Chapel Church Chucks. Then the Woodchucks. There were three guys on the team at the time named Chuck.

The original team goes back 13 or 14 years. since then, as we have grown, we have added teams. All are named after road kill. Armadillos. Anteaters. Porcupines. Warthogs. Jackals. Wolverines. Snappers. Dingos, Wombats, Buzzards, Squirrels, Shrews and Coyotes. All with great men, mostly from church, gathering to play ball, have fun, and talk about life, love and the pursuit of happiness. Softball has been a great, low level port of entry for men into our church.

So my phone rings. They want me to play at 8:00. Ha. Ha Ha! They want me to play. Ha. Yahoo.! Even 50 year olds still want to play. They bring me shoes, socks, shorts, and a shirt. I am the catcher. No problem.

Praise God. I bat 3 times. I get two hits. I ran the bases. I scored a run. I am batting 666. for the fall season. We have a play at the plate. I catch the ball and tag the man out. Yahoo! Great joy for old catchers.

Thank you B and coach G for inviting me. You are the best. Among great men, you are the best. Thank you very much.

There is always something inside of us that still wants to play.

Four weeks left in the season. They want me back. Ha. I can hardly walk this morning. I want a signing bonus.

You know, this little story brought me so much joy, I just had to share it with you. Real life is where real people live, and for a moment on Sunday night, I was John Buck. I was Johnny Bench.

It doesn't get any better than that.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

David Dancy said...

I read on the back of a shirt this weekend "Growing old does not mean you have to stop playing. But if you stop playing, you will grow old."

Congrats on the two hits!