Tuesday, August 28, 2007

more beyond

Sometimes I am struck by a painful thought. It always comes at a moment where the greatest joys of life meet our human mortality. I watch people do amazing things. Then they die.

It kind of goes like this: I raised a child. I am in love. I experience the joy of life. How can it be right that we all die? It is the question of the shampoo bottle. We are not here forever. How can it be that we see and do these wonderful things, and then, one day we are gone. Death is the great insult.

For the last two months I have bantered about this a couple of times a week. Sometimes to others, sometimes to myself. On Friday, I was reminded of the answer to this question.

I was driving along with a friend. He was listening to me ramble about this problem. Death is the great insult. Although I should know such things, sometimes great truths are just past our conscious thought. Its like we used to know something, but we get busy and forget.

He said, "this problem you are referring to is just a reminder that there is more beyond."

Click. The lights are on. It is God's way of having us only trust in Him.

His comments reminded me of a story that I have told at funerals about Christopher Columbus.

The Romans gave the Iberian peninsula the motto “Ne Plus Ultra,” meaning “No More Beyond.” This saying, incorporated into the Spanish Coat of Arms, reflected the belief that the world ended at the Strait of Gibraltar. For centuries, no one went beyond that point. This thinking changed, of course when Christopher Columbus sailed to the New World in 1492. In Valladolid, Spain, where Christopher Columbus died in 1506, a statue of a lion pays homage to the explorer. The lion tears away the "ne" or "no" from the motto, making it read "Plus Ultra." “More Beyond,” is now the motto of Spain for Columbus proved there is "more beyond" the Strait of Gibraltar.

Spiritually, we must remember. I must remember, that no matter how wonderful this world is, no matter how glorious the gifts and joys of this life, there is "more beyond." Death is God's way of reminding us that we are really just passing thru this life. We are citizens of a heavenly realm, yet unseen, beyond the sky.

It is a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Lion's Den Man said...

When we live in God there are no coincidences…………Jeff this morning (the same day you posted this in your blog) I started my day off with a reading from Max Lucado’s daily devotional “Grace for the Moment”. Then I proceeded to read your blog. I wonder how many times in my life God will say to me listen……I will guide you…..

From Grace for the Moment 8/28

God Know’s What’s Best

The problem with this world is that it doesn’t fit. Oh, it will do for now, but it isn’t tailor-made. We were made to live with God, but on earth we live by faith. We were made to live forever, but on this earth we live but for a moment…

We must trust God. We must trust not only that he does what is best but that he knows what is ahead. Ponder the words of Isaiah 57: 1-2: “The good men perish; the godly die before their time and no one seems to care or wonder why. No one seems to realize that God is taking them away from the evil days ahead. For the godly who die shall rest in peace”.

My what a thought. God is taking them away from the evil days ahead. Could death be God’s grace? Could the funeral wreath be God’s safety ring? As horrible as the grave may be, could it be God’s protection from the future?

Trust in God, Jesus urges, and trust in me.

Like I said "When we live in God there are no coincidences" and that brings me Peace.

Jan R said...

I don't know who you are Lion's Den Man but I'm glad you brought this scripture to my attention.

The love of my life died unexpectedly at age 52 after only 15 months of marriage. I spent a long time wondering about the "why?!" of that event.

Finally, I came to somewhat of the same conclusion.....God had other plans for him. It's comforting to think that he might've also saved him from 'evil days.'

I'm quite sure that he is indeed resting in peace.