Thursday, August 9, 2007

the shampoo bottle

There it is. The shampoo bottle. How many times have I looked at it and paid no attention. But today, I notice, and I notice that it only has about an inch left in it.

The human mind goes funny places. How long have I had this bottle? When did I buy it? How often do I need a new one?

I buy 3 at a time. I'll bet you can count the number of times on one hand that I have bought shampoo since the new price chopper opened.

I guess its not really the new price chopper anymore.

Shampoo. Suave. .89 cents a bottle. Strawberry. The older I get the less I use. Not that I am being frugal, I just don't need as much. Another year or two and I will stop keeping it. Just wake up in the morning and spray on some windex and wipe my head down.

So I guess its time for another trip to the store for shampoo. These bottles last a long time. I get to know them. I bring them home, they sit on a shelf and finally it is their turn to be in the rotation. I use them and I use them. Then months later, they are running out. Have to find another bottle.

So my brain is struck with this question. How many bottles of shampoo do I have left to buy? How many more will I go thru before I die?

Life is going by very fast. It is good, very good, but it is going by fast. Every day I have this little dance with a shampoo bottle. The bottle gets very little attention, but it is there for me everyday. It somehow marks the passing of time.

Some day, I am going to die. One of my kids is going to reach into the shower and just throw my bottle of shampoo away and take it out to the trash. They will pay it no regard. How can that be?
So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom. Psalm 90:12

I guess I am going to pay attention today to what is going on around me. I am going to try and slow my world down. I am going to think about, and listen to others more. I am just not going to be here forever.

Its a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Hazel said...

Your post made me think of this by Mary Jean Iron:

REVEL in the Ordinary

Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure that you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass by youin quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you whole I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig may nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all the world, your return.