Tuesday, August 7, 2007

The ninety and nine

Jesus told a wonderful story about the shepherd who leaves the 99 sheep in the fold and goes after the one that is lost. I think all good pastors understand this story. When someone leaves the church it breaks your heart. You know that there is a normal turn over every year. Some people drop out, some people move on. But it is never easy. You are always concerned. It always hurts.

1138 people in church on Sunday. One, that I know of, is thinking about leaving our church. It breaks my heart. What kind of sense does that make? With so many people, why does one make a difference? We even had someone visit church Sunday who used to come, left, and may be coming back. Now that is really exciting.

One matters, because every one matters. When you read this, I want you to know. Every one matters. You matter. If I get the chance, I pour my life, my time, my heart into each person.

I guess it is personal. I want to win them. I want to help them. And I want to keep them. But its not always up to me. Sometimes we have to let them go. Sometimes they are looking for other things. Sometimes they have something going on in their life. I am always sad to lose them. Every single one matters.

Sometimes, you just have to understand that you have done all that you can and let them go. Sometimes you have to just go back to the fold and work with the 99. There is still a message to be shared, there is still a mission to be fulfilled.

It is a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: