Saturday, August 4, 2007

I am not a very smart guy

When I was a boy of 14,My father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.
~ Mark Twain ~

I have always known this story. My Dad told this story about me. I have always understood the reality of the story from the perspective of the young man.

Now I am the father. I understand the story from the perspective of the father. The thing that I hadn't really counted on, is during the time that the kids think you are ignorant, you actually feel dumb. At least I do.

You don't know what to say to them, you don't understand how they are thinking. No matter what you try to do, what approach you take, they don't work. You feel irrelevant. I don't like the feeling.

For all of you with younger children, enjoy the time. Your day is coming. :-)

Maybe by the time all of this is over, I will have something good to say. Some good advice to give. Come see me when you cross this bridge, maybe I will be smarter then and will have something to say to help you thru it.

In spite of it all-
It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: