Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Lou the dog

Lou is our dog. He is a Schnauzer. 6 years old. Noisy little pesky dog. He barks at everyone. When I come home, he sees me pull in the drive, walk up the sidewalk and come to the door. The whole time he is barking like a fool. I step inside and yell at him. "This is my house. You don't bark at me." Then he quits barking, as if somehow now he has suddenly recognized me. He wags his little stump of a tail and goes back to his business.

Other than barking at everyone, his business is pretty good. Lots of people around to scratch your head, a food bowl that is always full, and two cats to maul when you feel the urge.

When he gets to go outside, he bolts thru the door with such excitement. You know, I have never seen that dog unhappy or depressed. It's like he only sees the good in life. Well, since most of the home and family revolves around scratching his head or feeding him treats, I guess he doesn't have much to complain about.

This whole blog thing is about seeing the good. Most pets that I know of, don't really have any worries. They just lay around and wait for someone to pay attention to them.

Pets are very trusting. When I hook up Lou for a walk, he never complains about where I will take him. He is just excited to go. When we are gone, he never worries about being alone. We will always come back. We always have.

Maybe we should be more trusting. More content. More confident that God is there and he will never leave us. Maybe we should stop barking at the people that live in our house. Maybe we should work on being excited for the simple things in life like your paws in the green grass or an air conditioner vent to sleep next to.

My mom would say that we choose to complain. No one makes you mad, you choose to be mad. Heck, it can't be that hard. If my dog is learning how to see the good in life, maybe its time for me to make some progress in that area. What about you?

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: