Thursday, August 16, 2007

Jose Offerman

Jose played major league baseball for 15 years. He was a two time all-star. Lately, his career has taken a down turn. At 38, Jose has been returned to the minor leagues. Yesterday he was hit by a pitch and he charged the mound. With the bat.

He hit the pitcher, breaking his finger, and hit the catcher who came out to protect his pitcher. The catcher has a concussion.

Offerman was arrested on the spot. Good. Sometimes celebrities get away with things that they shouldn't.

Everyone gets mad. Most people don't pick up a bat when they are mad.

What do you do when you get mad? Do you lose control? Yell at people? Say things that you wish you hadn't?

The best advice when you get mad: Walk away, take a break, cool down.

My mom used to say, "no one makes you mad, you choose to be mad." I like that thought. It reminds me that I have to take responsibility for myself and for my actions.

If you don't like hurting people's feelings, then walk away when you get mad. De-escalate. Others won't let it lie? You can. Walk away. Be the big person.

"man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." James 1:20

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

InkyLynne said...

Anger is one of those things I struggle to get right in my life. I am the one who rarely gets angry, "it doesn't matter", "they didn't mean to do it", "don't worry about it". But then later I have the festering feelings of "I must have deserved that" and the other lingering negative tapes that feel like rejection, disapproval, etc. While it's not ok to hit someone in the head with a bat, it's also not ok to strike ourselves over and over again because we don't feel like we can stand up for ourselves. So I guess the idea is that when we know that we are loved, accepted and approved of by God, we can handle anger in a way that doesn't destroy others, or ourselves. I'll keep working on it!